At 10:33 AM -0400 3/19/10, Olafur Gudmundsson wrote:
>Well here a proposed problem statement for the requirement:
>  How does an implementer of a protocol X, find which ones of the many
>  features listed in registry Y, he/she needs to implement and which
>  ones are obsolete.
>
>and
>  How does an "evaluator" of an implementations assess if
>  implementation Z is compliant with current recommended state
>  of protocol X.
>
>The second problem my draft is addressing is:
>  How to express the implementation and operational level of support.
>  RFC2119 words only apply to IMPLEMENTATIONS.

This problem statement does not match the one in the draft. The one here is a
better problem statement, and it already has a simple solution: write an RFC
that say "This RFC defines X; a sending implementation must be able emit A and
SHOULD be able to emit B; a receiving implementation must be able to process A
and SHOULD be able to process B". This has nothing to do with the IANA registry
other than A and B had better be listed there.

Further, there is nothing in your draft that says that X is a protocol. The
draft is completely vague as to what is being conformed to.

>As how things have been done I think that process is broken thus I want
>people to figure out a better way to provide this information.

So do many of us, but it is not from lack of many well-intentioned people
trying to fix it: it is from a lack of consensus.

>The question is how do we make the system more user friendly, remember
>we have over 5700 RFC's published so far and we are generating almost
>an RFC/day. It is not unlikely that we will have RFC 9000
>published before 2020!

Why is this any more true now that a few years ago when the newtrk work failed?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium