On Jul 5, 2011, at 6:58 AM, Tony Finch wrote:

> Keith Moore <mo...@network-heretics.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, but rDNS PTR lookups always have been pretty much meaningless
>> anyway, and will only get worse in IPv4 due to LSN.
>
> Reverse DNS for an LSN is just as informative as automatically populated
> reverse DNS (and much more convenient than a whois lookup).

correct, in that both are meaningless.   but I think the percentage of lookups
that return meaningful information will decrease - though more due to address
space exhaustion than LSN, I suppose.

what LSN will decrease is the correlation between source IP address and source
host, making any effort to associate a reputation with said addresses less
valid.

Keith