On Aug 30, 2011, at 2:02 PM, Eric Burger wrote:

> Note the language
>> "MUST implement, SHOULD use" is a common compromise.
>                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> This is my heartache.  Why is it a compromise?  Most use of SHOULD I run into
> in WG's is either this precise one:
>       I don't want to make this a MUST use, because I will have deployments
> *THAT ARE NOT FOR THE INTERNET* but I want to market them as if they were.
> Example: instant messaging systems for enterprises where tapping is a legal
> requirement, not something to be avoided.
> Example: instant messaging systems deployed where governments want to do
> warrantless, undetectable tapping
>
> I would offer neither of these examples are Internet examples, and we should
> get some iron underpants on and say so.

Mumble.  I fundamentally don't buy the argument that things that are used on
both local networks and the Internet should not be subject to Internet-strength
security.

And even where recording is a legal requirement, that's NOT an argument for
sending traffic in cleartext or with weak encryption.  That might be an
argument for some kind of backdoor - e.g. a trusted proxy or key escrow or
whatever, but it's not an argument for making the traffic available for those
without a legal need to see it.

> SHOULD should neither be a crutch for making a proprietary protocol look like
> an Internet protocol nor for making two proprietary protocols look like a
> single, Internet protocol.

agree.

Keith