On Sep 23, 2011, at 10:04 AM, Bob Hinden wrote:

> I theory I can agree, but in practice I think the more separation there is
> the more likelihood for organizational problems.  The point I am trying to
> make is that there needs to be close coordination between the IESG/IAB/ISOC
> and having a responsible person (currently the chairs, there are other
> possibilities as outlined in some other emails, XO model, etc.) taking voting
> responsibility is the best way to implement that.  It won't happen if it's
> just another person the, for example, the IESG appoints as your proposal
> sugests.  Likewise, I don't think having the chairs be non-voting members
> will work because the chairs are too busy for this to work over time.

I do not yet see how the other proposal, which is about diluting responsibility
over more person, will keep the persons that end up being chair better
informed. But that is because I have not seen the details. Remember that my
proposal started out with allowing the chairs to delegate. In a way the
alternative proposals may be subject to the same critique.

I am also not 100% sure that close coordination between the IESG/IAB/ISOC means
that the chairs need to participate in each others meeting. It might be much
more effective if they have a meeting among each other to exchange high-level
information and 'heads-ups'.

--Olaf (keeps listening)

http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/