In message <20120224171427.gj48...@mail.yitter.info>, Andrew Sullivan writes:
> cc:s trimmed.  I'm not on the w3c list anyway, and I don't think the
> IESG cares about this detail.
>
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 04:58:36PM +0100, Patrik Fältström wrote:
> >
> > Because people disagree on whether it is actually hard to get new
> RRTYPEs deployed.
> >
> > I for example do completely disagree on it being hard. Sure, your user
> interface in the gui of your favorite $EDITOR might not support the new
> RRTYPE, but should that constrain deployment of good standards?
> >

> Before those who think DNS weenies never listen to real-world problems
> jump in, I want to point out what _I_ understand to be a problem.  If
> you're a DNS geek, then the natural thing to think is, "This is easy.
> You just send a well-crafted UDP packet.  How hard could that be?
> Once the typecode is assigned, what's the problem with sending an
> unknown RR?"
>
> If you're most application programmers, however, the entire conversation
> ended at "send a well-crafted UDP packet".  Your libraries don't
> support injecting well-crafted UDP packets, and you have no idea how
> to do that, and it's incredibly stupid, and why would anyone think
> that was reasonable anyway?
>
> If you're most sysadmins, the entire conversation ended at "My tools
> don't know what TYPE1234 is."
>
> If we seriously think that DNS RRTYPEs ought to be useful extensions
> to people, we're going to have to make them _easy_ to deploy, not just
> possible.  I have no idea how to solve this problem, though.
>
> Best,

It's a simple library call in Windows to get SRV records returned.  What
windows doesn't have is the ability to lookup new types but SRV has been
supported for over a decade now.

        DNS_STATUS WINAPI DnsQuery(
          __in         PCTSTR lpstrName,
          __in         WORD wType,
          __in         DWORD Options,
          __inout_opt  PVOID pExtra,
          __out_opt    PDNS_RECORD *ppQueryResultsSet,
          __out_opt    PVOID *pReserved
        );

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms682016(v=vs.85).aspx

Posix: though you do have to parse the result.
int
res_query(const char *dname, int class, int type, u_char *answer, int anslen);

There are libraries that will extact the records and return them
as a list of length data blobs.  You just need to parse the individual
records.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: ma...@isc.org