Hi Martin,

On 06/25/2012 11:35 AM, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
> Hello Stephen, others,
>
> On 2012/06/23 6:20, Stephen Farrell wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I went back through the IETF LC comments and think that we've
>> resolved them all on the list and have the changes in this
>> version [1] of the draft, with the possible exception of those
>> below.
>>
>> The issues raised but not so far obviously resolved on the
>> list were I think:
>>
>> 1) inclusion of content type
>> 2) nih as a URI scheme or not
>>
>> For (1) this version includes ct= in draft-farrell-decade-ni
>> (the only changes to draft-hallambaker-decade-ni-params [2]
>> made so far are those that flow from moving that text), so
>> I'd hope that this version resolves that but would welcome
>> feedback on the new text from folks who commented. I'd hope
>> it should be ok, modulo some text tweaks.
>>
>> For (2) we've left nih in as a URI scheme in this version.
>> We're still in favour of keeping it that way and have added
>> some language about why its there and is done like that. I'm
>> guessing that Martin at least won't be happy (but who knows;-),
>> so again comments are welcome as to whether the new text helps
>> or not.
>
> When reading your explanations, I had hoped that there would be some
> text along the lines of "different use case" that would really explain
> why two separate schemes are necessary. For example something similar to
> what Graham was mentioning at
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg73760.html, which I
> understand is similar to what I mentioned as fingerprints in our
> discussion.
>
> Unfortunately, what I find is the following:
>
>> The justification for using a URI scheme for this is that that might
>> help a user agent for the speaker to better display the value, or
>> perhaps if there was some use-case for a machine to speak the value.
>
> So we are creating a new URI scheme because *perhaps* there is a use
> case? Or because it *might* help? In the whole discussion, I was always
> ready to accept that there are different use cases, assuming that they
> could be clearly explained. I'm really wondering why this is so
> difficult. If these use cases really exist, it shouldn't be that
> difficult, and it shouldn't sound so vague, or should it? I'm not
> necessarily blaming you, but between you, your coauthors, and the WG
> that apparently proposed this, it shouldn't be that hard to come up with
> a better and more definite explanation than the sentence above.

IMO the use-case is clear, and is stated in the first sentence
of section 7.

I believe that Graham got the use-case, and accepted that its
different from ni URIs, but was questioning the need for nih to
be a uri scheme. He can confirm or refute that himself I guess,
but quoting his mail [1] (just before the one you reference):

"I can see that there are distinct use-cases here, and I
think you have reasonable grounds for not wanting to combine
them."

   [1] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg73758.html

Maybe the language I added for why we want nih as a uri
scheme is not sufficiently clear, or isn't convincing, but
that's a different argument.

>> We do not include the query string since there is no way to ensure
>> that its value might be spoken unambiguously, and similarly for the
>> authority, where e.g. internationalised forms of domain name could
>> not be usefully spoken.  This leaves the hash value as the only part
>> of the ni URI that we feel can be usefully included.  But since
>> speakers or listeners (or speech recognition) may err, we also
>> include a check-digit to catch common errors.
>
> It is really strange to assume that text-to-speech software would work
> for English (or ASCII in general), but not for other scripts or
> languages. Sure, the level of text-to-speech software may not be exactly
> the same for each script and each language, but that's no reason to
> prohibit a domain name. There are definitely millions of domain names in
> e.g. Chinese or Japanese or Russian,... that can be spoken and re-typed
> quite unambiguously, and that users would have much less problems with
> than a long string of hex digits. (And we would still have the check
> digit, anyway.) On the other hand, it is quite possible to create domain
> names with ASCII/English that neither humans nor text-to-speech engines
> will be able to pronounce right.

The point is that we only leave in the ascii-hex. The
goal being to reduce this to something that can be
unambiguously spoken, and I think ascii-hex is about
as close as one can get to that. Anything else brings
additional ambiguity and hence is left out.

Its true that the machine-reading/recognition bit is
speculative though, but I don't think its much of a leap,
nor is it really crucial to the argument.

Cheers,
S.