On 20/03/2013 01:23, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
> On 3/19/2013 8:01 PM, Ben Campbell wrote:
>
>> I think this means we should closely consider the goals of a mentoring
>> effort. Is it to help them navigate the IETF structure, personalities,
>> and immune system to get something done? Is it to help them become the
>> next generation of IETF leaders? I suspect those two goals do not lend
>> themselves to the same approach.
>
> Yeah, I agree with Ben here.
>
> I'd go further and suggest that helping people get something done is a
> good thing, and at least some of the people who have gotten something
> done are more likely to to hang around, but if people want to be part of
> the next generation of IETF leadership without actually getting
> something done first, encouraging them may not take the IETF to a happy
> place.

Correct, we wish to convert successful participants into long-term
participants and future leaders, and the first step is converting new
participants into successful participants [RFC4144].

However, I think an important part of that is ensuring that people
do *not* focus exclusively on a specific target, even if they are
busy people as Ben said.

   Brian