At 01:34 AM 4/29/2013, Dave Crocker wrote:
>On 4/28/2013 9:05 PM, Michael StJohns wrote:
>>Let's consider for a moment that this may not actually be the correct
>>question.  Instead, consider "Why the diversity of the IETF leadership
>>doesn't reflect the diversity of the set of the IETF WG chairs"?  I believe
>>this is a more representative candidate population for the IAB and IESG.
>

>Except that the IESG members select the wg chairs, which makes your baseline
>stastistic suspect; it's too easy for all sorts of biasing factors to sway the
>allocation of wg chair positions.

A couple of points:

Actually, I don't think this is even a mostly correct statement - that AD
select chairs.  I believe that most chairs are self-selected [e.g. hey AD, I
want to run a BOF on this topic with the idea of forming a working group -
here's the other person who might chair, what do you think?  Sure - go ahead,
we may twiddle with things a bit at charter formation, but you look like you
know what you're doing].  With one exception (where I was asked to chair an
evaluation panel), that's been my experience.

Would you have evidence to the contrary?

Second point:

You ignored most of the post and went directly to my last question - 'If there
is no statistical difference between the IAB/IESG and the WG chair set, should
we then consider the relationship between the IETF attending constituency and
the WG chair set?"    Say the average meeting had 1500 attendees.  7.4% would
suggest that there are 111 female attendees.  If the actual number is higher or
lower it MAY represent a  statistically significant difference in the
composition of the two groups.  Or it may not.   And even then, may only have a
very indirect impact in the composition of the IAB/IESG.  Care to do the
analysis?

Later, Mike