On May 3, 2013, at 1:00 PM, Scott Kitterman <sc...@kitterman.com> wrote:

> On Friday, May 03, 2013 12:46:52 PM Douglas Otis wrote:

>>> It does seem a bit odd for you to claim you're being ignored when the
>>> largest change in SPF processing limits contained in 4408bis was your
>>> suggestion.  An alternate interpretation to consider is that the working
>>> group fully considered your inputs and incorporated those that were
>>> appropriate technically and in scope for the charter.
>>
>> Dear Scott,
>>

>> This was not directly part of the IETF process, as my input there was
>> ignored.
>>
>> As I recall, removal of unlimited recursion occurred after a presentation
>> made in Boston to the Open Group.
>
> I assume you are referring to some of the pre-IETF activities for SPF.
> Recursion based processing limits don't appear in RFC 4408 (and also not in
> 4408bis).
>
>> As with unlimited recursion, the need for the macro functions are also
>> negligible while posing real risks. This is a serious security concern
>> still needing to be addressed.
>
> This was discussed in the working group and tracked in the WG issue tracker:
>
> http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/spfbis/trac/ticket/24
>
> The change mentioned in the ticket is a direct result of your input to spfbis
> (referenced in the ticket).
>
> As far as I can tell, this is just a case of "the working group came to a
> different conclusion, so I'll whine about it on the main list".

Dear Scott,

While the recommendation may have helped, there is a trend of large websites
publishing synthetic domains as an alternative to web cookies. This overcomes
the suggested fix. A similar issue applies to SPF reverse namespace macro
expansion consuming connection resources, especially in regard to IPv6.  In the
end, the domain is still not authenticated, the number of transactions remain
excessive and inhibit meaningful mitigation. Nothing justifies active content
in DNS resource records distributed with email.  Macros are not needed and
seldom if ever are used in this regard.  Simply put, SPF macros are not safe.
DKIM as specified is not safe. Open IPv6 email can not be defended.  The IETF
needs to seek better and fairer remedies.

Regards,
Douglas Otis