Hi -

As a former WG chair who's had to deal with some very rough
consensus calls...

Not "counting" a "+1" is more consistent with a classical definition
of consensus.  But, particularly at a WG level (less so, perhaps,
at the IETF level) "+1" is very helpful in determining whether
the previously mentioned "Abilene Paradox" should be of concern.

Randy