On 8/31/2013 11:02 AM, Melinda Shore wrote:
. I'd like to see some mention of consensus-seeking behavior;
   that is to say, we make decisions on the basis of rough
   consensus and so the goal of discussion should be to build
   consensus rather than to "win."

+10.

Might be worth referencing Pete Resnick's draft; at this point, casting it as one person's 'exploration' of the concept might avoid taking it as official, while still treating it as useful.

By way of operationalizing the idea of discussing-to-build-consensus might be emphasizing both explanation -- to help people understand a view -- and modification -- to adjust the view based on feedback.

A characteristic of talking to win, rather than explore, is having a very rigid manner of making comments, essentially only re-stating a point. By contrast, real discussion incorporates comments being made, rather than merely seeking to refute them.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking