On Sep 9, 2013, at 12:28 AM, l.w...@surrey.ac.uk wrote:
> There is no upside.
>
> By signing your mail you lose plausible deniability, remove legal doubt as to
> what you said...

Your checks are in the mail.

Seriously, this perfectly illustrates the reason why PGP hasn't seen widespread
deployment: it doesn't address a use case that anybody understands or cares
about, and it appears to address a use case that people actually would like to
avoid.

Here is the current use model for PGP:

(1) I generate a key and sign all my email with it
(2) People reading my email see an obscure indicator somewhere in my email that
indicates that it was signed by either an unknown key (nearly always) or a
known key (I don't even know what that looks like)
(3) ???
(4) WIN!

First of all, this does nothing to preserve privacy, so I don't know why we're
even talking about it.   PGP in principle could be used to encrypt
communication, but because we don't really have an agreed-upon trust model,
this is a use case that only occurs when people are _highly motivated_ to
protect their privacy, and that's not most people, and not most of the time.

This stuff matters.   Thinking about the use model for the tools we build is
_the most important aspect_ of protecting peoples' privacy.   If we don't think
about these things, we're just producing cool toys that will never see general
use.

I can actually describe a use model for PGP that accomplishes what Michael
wants without accomplishing what Lloyd doesn't want, but let's leave that for
another conversation.   The point I wanted to make is very simply that if we
don't think about use models, we will never get to (4).