On Sep 9, 2013, at 4:11 PM, Dan York <dan-i...@danyork.org> wrote:
> Even in the groups where PGP was (and is) being used, usage is inconsistent
> in part because people are now accessing their email using different devices
> and not all of them have easy access to PGP/GPG.  If you receive an encrypted
> message... but can only read it on your laptop/desktop and not your mobile
> device, and you are not near your laptop/desktop, how useful is the
> encryption if you need to read the message?  You have to either wait to get
> back to your system or ask the person to re-send unencrypted.

It might be worth thinking about why ssh and ssl work so well, and PGP/GPG
don't.

On Sep 9, 2013, at 4:09 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> True story: Last Saturday evening I was sitting waiting for a piano
> recital to start, when I overheard the person sitting behind me (who
> I happen to know is a retired chemistry professor) say to his
> companion "Email is funny, you know - I've just discovered that when
> you forward or reply to a message, you can just change the other
> person's text by typing over it! You'd have thought they would
> make that impossible."
>
> Yes, they should have made that impossible.

Oh my, I _love_ this!   This is actually the first non-covert use case I've
heard described, although I'm not convinced that PGP could actually do this
without message format tweaks.