Hi Fernando,

Yes you can, which is what I just said to Ray. But, I am not talking
about a *requirement* - I am talking about a best practice that works
in most cases.

The question is how many layers of encapsulation do you need? Let's
say you want 5 layers of encapsulation. That would still allow enough
room for all of the hosts headers to fit in the first fragment if the
host limits its header chain to 1024 bytes. But, now let's say that
you want 10 layers of encapsulation. That means that the first 5
middleboxes that examine the outermost encapsulations will not be
able to see the entire header chain, but the last 5 middleboxes that
examine the innermost encapsulations will. So, there is a limit to
the levels of defense-in-depth. But, that limit is greater than 1.

Remember also that the 1280/1500 also assumed that there would be
"just a few" layers of nested encapsulations. What I am suggesting
allows for endless recursion but limited (and reasonable) defense
in depth.

> That's why this I-D says what it says.

I'm not sure this discussion was taken into account, and what the
draft says now is not friendly to tunnels.

> P.S.: Reegarding enforcing a limit on the length of the header chain, I
> must say I symphatize with that (for instance, check the last
> individual
> version of this I-D, and you'll find exactly that). But the wg didn't
> want that in -- and I did raise the issue a few times. So what we have
> is what the 6man wg had consensus on.

It is not too late to get this right, and to give reasonable
treatment to tunnels that the current draft does not give.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.temp...@boeing.com