Hi Brian,

Technical matters should be discussed as they come to light; not
dismissed because of some real or perceived deadline. That was what
got us the 1280 MTU in the first place. Quoting from Steve Deering:

  " We would like to get this issue settled as
    soon as possible, since this is the only thing holding up the publication
    of the updated Proposed Standard IPv6 spec (the version we expect to advance
    to Draft Standard), so let's see if we can come to a decision before the ID
    deadline at the end of next week (hoping there isn't any conflict between
    "thoughtful analysis" and "let's decide quickly" :-)."

So, it wasn't necessarily the case that 1280 was a product of "thoughtful
analysis" so much as the fact that **they were rushing to get a spec out
the door**. So now, 16 years later, we get to put it back on the 6man
charter milestone list.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.temp...@boeing.com