Two things:

1. This is a volunteer community. Asking us to download a massive file and parse through it to find a data file is not a reasonable request. Pick an example and attach it as a txt file (energy, mu(E) or E, I0, IF ). In fact, since the graph looks like the data were grossly over-sampled for XANES, you might want to sieve it to a more reasonable step size such as 0.1 to 0.3 eV through the edge. That will also help with file size.

2. If the graph you attached is representative of the data, the data were not collected over a large enough energy range for normalisation. Next time, try +/- 100 - 200 eV below and above the edge (maybe 250 above).

-R.

On 2024-04-10 5:22 a.m., jesse walters wrote:
Hi all, I have some spectra collected by a collaborator, Francesco Ressico, a PhD student at Uni Bologna,  (see attached .h5 file below) and we are having trouble normalizing the Fe K edge spectra. The data are for serpentine group minerals
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an External Sender
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
Hi all,

I have some spectra collected by a collaborator, Francesco Ressico, a PhD student at Uni Bologna,  (see attached .h5 file below) and we are having trouble normalizing the Fe K edge spectra. The data are for serpentine group minerals and were collected in fluorescence mode. In the attached file, the correct X array value is 'energy_enc', the data type is 'xas', and the y array should be 'mu_fluo_det0'. The spectra are already normalized for the incoming beam energy (although this can also be done using 'flou_det0/i0'). There are multiple spectra in the file, any one of them can be chosen to test the procedure.

After loading the spectra, I am able to plot the raw spectra correctly (see attached). But when I try to normalize the pre and post edge regions and plot the normalized spectra, the software only gives a blank plot. I have tried changing the normalization type, polynomial type, range, etc for both the pre and post edge, but nothing seems to work. I also tested different spectra, but with similar results.

Does anyone have suggestions for how these data can be normalized?

The h5 file is too large, so here is a dropbox link https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/d8k5s67vli0mq97ac520y/COR21_79_Xastransect_79_F1_THC.h5?rlkey=33ragg4p6x9rx65t9yvi5kewe&dl=0__;!!G_uCfscf7eWS!Y2vfGwfONNMo1aLgkAnnXaF5bQ8shgtgTi51NUeYhIeIHAvFmLRm9we3b2lAA2ZANf1WrgLChlCGWCg0N--jlHp3IM5xIQjzyaIPkA4$ <https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/d8k5s67vli0mq97ac520y/COR21_79_Xastransect_79_F1_THC.h5?rlkey=33ragg4p6x9rx65t9yvi5kewe&dl=0__;!!G_uCfscf7eWS!btLKhnEiyp5gMQfSDnHdxqgt2ie5vcVHW7e142vokJ-wEX6zZSIOcAyHsf5THg9ZlyyIsx7Vfm27ycKWAQg1_cysDdnW65aCQA$>

Sincerely,
Jesse Walters

--
Jesse B. Walters