On 18-Jan-08, at 1:07 PM, Raj Mathur wrote:

>>> http://wiki.kandalaya.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Main/LoadBalancing
>>
>> what happens if one interface goes down - does it screw up the dns?
>
> Well, it screws up half your connections.  The commands I've given are
> for a rudimentary setup: no dead gateway detection, etc.
>
> OTOH, if one interface goes down you can always
>
>   /etc/init.d/networking restart
>
> (or equivalent) to get back to your single-point access setup.

I use shorewall multiisp for load balancing with 3 ISPs  through
eth1, eth2 and eth3 with the lan on eth0. Works fine but the moment
one ISP goes down, the dns acts up and the various entries for that
ISP have to be removed and firewall restarted. There also doesnt seem
to be any way to detect when the isp comes up again, so the whole
thing is manual at present - users scream, check which is down and
restart without that.

--
regards

Kenneth Gonsalves