Hi Niyam
> i can't understand how come this is not a violation of the terms of
> the GPL, specifically modifications must also be released under GPL.
> the authors do claim they may eventually roll the enhancements in the
> GPL version.

The site says about the OSE "It is functionally equivalent to the full
VirtualBox package, except for a few features that primarily target
enterprise customers." It doesn't talk about the code. Sun had bought
this company which used to make virtualbox sometime back and the GPLed
version came up later.
Many companies seem to have a business model where they release their
software as a GPLed software. Everything is done by community for the
software GPLed. The other version the company works on. The other
version started with a code base that wasn't GPLed at the time the
forking happened. So I don't know think we can claim they are
enhancing GPLed software, isn't it? RTLinux had done the same thing.
Very unfortunately the OSE version is in bad shape due to bad response
in the community. The last time I checked,  it didn't even end up with
a 2.6 kernel while the company FSM Labs continues with its product
available at a big price.
I am sure there are many other softwares like this.
Regards
Gajendra