dear all,

some rogue software crashed my Nokia E61i, and deleted 779 contacts
and all calendar entries.
don't ask.
so i've got this mobile that looks and behaves like matt daemon from
the Bourne Identity.
no backup of the data on the external microSD card either.

fortunately, the only backup i have is a single vCard file, and the
calendar entries in another archive.

after hours of googling, researching, reading, here's what i've done so far:

01. launched evolution (for the first time on ubuntu 9.04)
02. successfully imported all contacts and calendar entries into evolution.
03. installed multisync, and multisync-gui, alongwith every
conceivable library i could find in synaptic
for multisync, opensync, and their plugins and tools.
04. can succcessfully connect the nokia E61i with ubuntu over
bluetooth, browse and send/receive files from the desktop.

here lies the rub:

when i launch multisync, and try to create a new pair:
i can only choose 'IrMC Mobile Device' for the Nokia E61i.
When i click on its options, i do get 'connection type' as 'bluetooth'.
that's a relief.

however, when i 'search for units' it gets the bluetooth address of the mobile,
but a dialog box pops up to warn me about no IrMC support.

so the 'test connection' fails.

how many i let evolution and the mobile sync to create a workflow
similar to the one with the Mac OS and its addressbook and iCal and
iSync,
as well as with MSWin and its outlook?

the second question:
i wish to upgrade my firmware too.
nokia's software demands i use a win machine to handle this upgrade.
i actually don't have any win machine with me.
how do i stay detoxified while upgrading the nokia firmware from within ubuntu?

thanks in advance for your help and assistance.

regards
niyam

--
niyam bhushan