Kartik Singhal writes:
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 10:14 PM, Ashish SHUKLA <wahjava...@gmail.com>wrote:

>> [Your CCing the same mail to various lists in the name of X-Post sucks. It
>> is
>> rude when other lists permits only subscribers to post. So, for a little
>> convenience of yours, you're pissing off those who are trying to help
>> you. Please avoid this, this is not USENET.]
>>

> Yeah, seems like I messed up :( . Your mail was not received by fsug-tvm.
> Have never used USENET though. Won't repeat my mistake.

Yes, that's because I'm not subscribed to that list and I received a failure
notice.

> You mean we have NFS for anonymous mount, SFTP for authentication and Samba
> for windows clients (if I got that right)?

Yes, NFS mount with 'all_squash' option to squash all users to the anonymous
UID/GID.

>>> And instead of having this script, why not initialize the ~guest with a
>>
>> > It is indeed a .desktop file while just runs this script. This is for
>> > accessing the private shares of a particular user which is not same as
>> the
>> > 'user' account they use to login to the client.
>>
>> The reason I suggested is because entering a username/password in a dialog
>> box
>> looks straightforward to me, and SFTP url will be the same. You can
>> configure
>> OpenSSH in chroot mode[1] preventing users from exploring the server
>> file-system.
>>

> I think I missed the point earlier as we had not deployed SFTP ever.

SFTP = file transfer protocol (not FTP) over SSH. You can create SFTP-only
users restricted to their chroot.

>> And also if '/$un/' share requires authentication, you're entering same
>> username twice, one at your script and other in the user/password dialog
>> box
>> which nautilus pops up. SFTP offers secure access and is well integrated
>> with
>> Nautilus and GNOME VFS.
>>

> Yeah, this was annoying to enter the user name twice. Seems like this would
> be a far better solution.

> Thanks for all the help and your time. Will try this setup and inform here.

Cool. Looking forward to read your experience.

- --
Ashish SHUKLA

“But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was
finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.”
(George Orwell, "Nineteen Eighty-Four", 1949)