>> I am also in favour of setting up Raspberry Pi when we have budget
>> concerns.I have got one with me,it is working fine for basic jobs.

@vijaya  can you bring it to the next meetup so that you can demo and
Gora can take a look it .

> Thank you, and Satyakaam, for your inputs.
>
> I would very much like to understand your recommendations
> in the context of my original message. Where do I buy a
> Raspberry Pi in India, what would it cost, and where do you
> think I could find people in rural Orissa to support an
> educational infrastructure built on top of it?

Element14 [1]  and kits and spares , it would cost 2750 + 586 ( for
enclosures) even a soapbox would if we do not want to spend on
enclosures. also they are available from kitsnspares [2]

While placing an order with Element14  give your Pan number instead of
the sales tax registration number they ask for in the checkout form .
.
since net is available i would rely on remote support, afaik hardware
support i do not know what is the policy with the vendor , i was
thinking of the power needs can be taken care  by mashing it up with
the Thinvent  solar solution - there computers or look for a vendor ,
also still it is not clear the kind of language they are comfortable
with .

[1]http://in.element14.com/
[2]http://kitsnspares.com/

-Satya