Ramneek Handa wrote:

>project. i was concerned about one thing
>that i never get any mails about linux programming and stuff... Why dont we
>put up another list or website for those who
>are interested in programming more than installation, social work, and
>promoting linux. We could probably start our own open

I agree that we hardly have programming issues coming up on this list,
but there is perhaps a reason. And the reason is the way evolution of UG
or user groups as it takes place in every country or city.

At first there is a topic of interest and people of a country with
common interest join in and the list/group grows. Soon there are so many
people in the group and large number of geographically common people
show up and the need for a regional group arises with the birth of
 local LUGs.

ILUGD has mainly been a regionalisation of the linux india initiative
with focus on solving common installation/maintenance issues and  linux
envangelism. As such from the ratio of mails in LIH and LIP you can
gauge the ratio of need for the various topics. Over the last two years,
LIP or the Linux India Programmers list has grown from a handful of
people. But the size isn't large enough for regionalisation. In other
words, yes, you can go ahead and start a programmers list under ilugd
right now(as I had once requested a year or two back), but the two
points - traffic and henceforth the usefulness can be a real hamper.

The reason is definitely because of the still fledgling software
development on the linux plarform in India or the relatively few Indians
involved in software development on this platform in the world. But my
advice would be to sign up on the linux-india-programmers list if you
are interested in programming. Most of the programmers of ilugd are
signed up there anyway. On top of that LIP has some really good people
on it, and due to being relatively low traffic, your
problems/discussions  will get much more attention by people. You can
still discuss programming on this list - only you would get a smaller
audience. Maybe in future LIP would grow large enough with a lot of
programmers in and around Delhi to merit a separete mailing list under
ilugd.

- Sandip