Hello friends,

This issue needs to be discussed and decisions taken. It will be
definately good not to keep this issue pending, so that the
participation in the group is clearer and one knows one's limits and the
limits that the group's policies impose on the
discussions/topics/participation.

For example: The discussion itself was prompted because of a request to
announce the launch of a commercial linux based software. Just the
announcement of the launch of a commercial software provoked such a
response that reached a point that the announcement was stalled by those
against the very idea of commercial software.

The discussion reached a point: Are we a group for everything under the
name/aspects of Linux, or, are we a free software group restricted to
free and open software - even if it not on linux and could be in
windows. For example, the point raised was : We could discuss an open &
free software on windows but not a commercial software on linux.

The response from Raju was : "If this group (DLUG) is ging to be
anything but a "free software group", I will resign from the group and
may even form a separate one". His response had supporters and also
those who do not like this kind of division, but, as usual, he and his
ideas prevailed - specially because those who did not support this idea
of his, decided to remain quiet and let the discussions be completed
properly and in a positive atmosphere.

Hence, now, it is only logical that this discussion is not left hanging
and decisions are taken to decide:
Are we a "free software users group " , or, are we a "linux users
group".

We also have the choice to have both the subjects as those of the group.

If being "free software users group " means that we cannot even talk of
commercial software on linux platform, we have to define many things,
because many discussions/talks/announcements on the lists can/could be
directly/indirectly related to comemrcial software or comercial
organisations - the limitations and their consequences need to be
understood, discussed, known and clarified.

Just like Raju is clear on his thinking of this being a "free software
users group ", I and some others are clear that, in that case, we need a
separate "linux users group", because linux is not just about "free
software" - it is much more than that, it is about freedom, freedom for
users, freedom for developers, freedom for software business, freedom
for eveyone involved in any way with IT - and perhaps even for those not
directly involved with IT.

For me, Linux represents the eternal quest of human being for freedom
and is not restricted to IT.

For me, I certaily respect the ideas of "free software", but that does
not mean no to commercial ineterests in software.
The group can surely decide to be "free software users group ", but then
there will be freedom to others like me to form a separate "linux users
group" and this new group will be free to take up linux to aeas beyond
those of the "free software".

But this group of ours must take up this matter and take an immediate
decision on the issue. If there is going to be delay on this decision,
then the group cannot close itself on these ideas and pending the
decision, all discussions must be allowed - otherwise, it will mean
going back to nazi era, where you hd to speak only what hitler wished.

I hope this mail goes through to the list uncensored and we take up the
matter for discussions and decisions.

--
Peace, Force & Joy!                         Sudhir Gandotra.
        Transform lives: http://humanistmovement.org/