>>>>> "Sunil" == Sunil Potluri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Sunil> Hi This is sunil. I'm a new user for Linux. I have some
Sunil> doubts regarding GRUB loader. I'm using Winxp as other
Sunil> OS. During installation of Linux 9 (Red Hat) I chose the
Sunil> option to install GRUB in Linux partition instead of
Sunil> chosing to install it in MBR. When the system reboots I
Sunil> don't see the options to selecte either Linux or Winxp, it
Sunil> defaults boots to Winxp. How can create grub.conf file?
Sunil> And one more thing. How can add/remove packages similar to
Sunil> add/remove windows programs. what is RPM.
You are using the ntldr (default windows boot loader) in the MBR. this
should know that you have another operating system that needs to be
booted.
1) Boot using the installation media and go to rescue mode.
2) Get a shell (Alt-F2) might work.
3) Assuming that the partition that contains Linux is hda6
dd if=/dev/hda6 of=/tmp/linux-boot.img bs=512 count=1
4) This will copy the first 512 bytes - boot sector of your linux
partition.
5) Transfer this file to your windows partition. I generally keep this
in a directory called c:\boot
6) Edit c:\boot.ini to include this file
c:\boot\boot.img="Linux"
And reboot.
HTH
-balaji
--
http://balajin.net/blog
BOFH excuse #226:
A star wars satellite accidently blew up the WAN
------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
Most low income homes are not online. Make a difference this holiday season!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/5UeCyC/BWHMAA/TtwFAA/0XFolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->
-----------------------------------------------
Next Meeting as on our Website: http://ilughyd.org.in
-----------------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ilughyd/
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/