thejaswi_p_23 wrote:
> --- In [email protected], Sameer Verma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering if there's been any talk in the group about the OLPC
>> project (http://laptop.org/), its Fedora-based Sugar interface
>> (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar) or the XO laptop itself
>> (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO:_The_Children%27s_Machine).
>>     
>
> November 2007 Agenda:
> http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ilughyd/message/19071
>
> We did have a wonderful talk on the 2B1 machine in November, 2007 by 
> Tinku Sampath. A talk on the Sugar interface or the current status of 
> the project would be great.
>
>
> --
> Cheers
> Theju
>
>   

One disadvantage of living away from Hyd is that I don't get to attend
meetings or contribute.

The OLPC-India group is making good progress. Some spaces to watch will
be the Digital Bridge Foundation that is being set up by Reliance so
that the project becomes more participative and open. The foundation
will hopefully allow other organizations and individuals to be a part of
the project in India. An event is planned for August 4, 2008. Details
are at http://www.olpc.co.in/olpcindiaday/ Then there is the OLPC India
Student Chapter which is quite interesting.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_India_Student_Chapter

There are a handful of small pilots going on in India, but that may all
change quickly in the near future. Current pilot project list is up at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_India

Places where LUGs can help or contribute are of course with testing and
debugging Sugar, but also with things like translation (see Telugu
translation in progress at
https://dev.laptop.org/translate/te/index.html), documentation,
advocacy, and of course location-specific ideas for children's
activities. In fact, if there is one showcase to see in terms of
impressive progress, its OLPC Nepal. http://olpcnepal.org/

The OLPC-India mailing list is at http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/india
. I'm also copying Arjun Sarwal (http://dev.laptop.org/~arjs/) and Amit
Gogna (Reliance), who are quite instrumental in the project. Hyderabad
is a great technology center. I think we (the LUG) can be significant
contributors to the cause, especially because the project is FOSS based
and very participatory, and LUG'ers are not new to the concept. In fact,
if you think about LUGs a bit, LUGs are not Linux orgs - they are
educational orgs, where the topic simply seems to be Linux and related
technologies/philosophies.

I am incredibly excited about the possibility of children using
FOSS-based learning platforms to further their education.

Disclaimer: I don't work for any of these organizations. I am just an
OLPC and FOSS enthusiast.

cheers,
Sameer

-- 
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Information Systems
San Francisco State University
San Francisco CA 94132 USA
http://verma.sfsu.edu/
http://opensource.sfsu.edu/

Reply via email to