Why not start holding down Ctrl+R

This should start you on a web based system and enable you to use Disk Utility
from the web unless your Resident OS is very old? Then you can install a new
version of your OS from the web and all will be well if your had isn't damaged.

Good luck

Colin Y in UK - our iMac was our 16th consecutive Apple since 1977 and we love
it and most of its predecessors still😉
Sent from Colin Y's iPhone

> On 9 Apr 2017, at 09:52, imaclist@googlegroups.com wrote:
>

> imaclist@googlegroups.com     Google Groups
> Topic digest
> View all topics
> imac 17 inch flat panel spin and freeze spinning will not start please help -
> 3 Updates
> imac 17 inch flat panel spin and freeze spinning will not start please help
>
> Bernard Bailey <bbbbailey2...@gmail.com>: Apr 07 08:59PM -0700
>
> Hello I have a imac 17 inch flat panel qt3051nwnhx just spin will not start
> what can I do to get it to start properly, and thank you.
> "Bruce Johnson" <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>: Apr 08 07:01PM
>
> > On Apr 7, 2017, at 8:59 PM, Bernard Bailey <bbbbailey2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello I have a imac 17 inch flat panel qt3051nwnhx just spin will not start
> > what can I do to get it to start properly, and thank you.
>
> So all you have is the gray Apple icon and a spinning gear? What version of
> OS X? Will it boot from an OS X installer disk?
>
> If it does, run Disk Utility to check the hard drive, if it doesn’t boot from
> the installer disk, disconnect everything connected to it (including
> mouse&keyboard) and try. You may have a flaky USB device causing an issue.
>
> If that works, plug in the keyboard and hold down the shift key while it
> starts, to boot into safe mode. If that works you know the computer is
> probably ok, and i was something that was plugged in, or a some program or
> device driver that was just installed or updated.
>
> If that doesn’t work, press the Command-V keys immediately to see the verbose
> boot screen. A lot of text will flow on the screen, but what we’re interested
> is the line where it stops. That could give an indication of the issue.
>
> --
> Bruce Johnson
> University of Arizona
> College of Pharmacy
> Information Technology Group
>
> Institutions do not have opinions, merely customs
> "Bruce Johnson" <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>: Apr 08 07:39PM
>
> > On Apr 8, 2017, at 12:01 PM, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
> > wrote:
>
> > If that doesn’t work, press the Command-V keys immediately to see the
> > verbose boot screen
>
> “press the command-V key immediately while starting up”…I meant. Sorry for
> the confusion
>

> --
> Bruce Johnson
> University of Arizona
> College of Pharmacy
> Information Technology Group
>
> Institutions do not have opinions, merely customs
> Back to top
> You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group.
> You can change your settings on the group membership page.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an
> email to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.