On Aug 10, 2017, at 12:32 PM,
mike.ansberry1...@gmail.com<mailto:mike.ansberry1...@gmail.com> wrote:

I recently got a message supposedlly from my ISP saying I had some bad malware
and they were quarantining me and would freeze my computer.

This is a scam.

They gave me a number to call to get the problem fixed.  I didn't believe it so
I contacted Apple and they gave me a link to Malwarebytes.  I ran it on my
os10.11 drive and it said it cleaned it out.  But I only have 10.11 to enable
my iPhone to talk to the iTunes on the iMac.  My main software is on my 10.7.5
drive.  So on my 10.7 drive I get the same message this morning.

If this is popping up when you run a web browser, the issue is in your
browser’s cache. This is a fake malware scam. Malwarebytse should have been
able to find the error on the 10.75

I contact Apple and they say I am out of warranty and I will have to pay $180
to have them fix it.  I asked if there was any software that I could use to
clean my Mac out and prevent it from happening again.  They said there isn't.
They also said reformatting the drive would not fix the problem.

That last right there is absolute hogwash.

So- Is there software out there that is good stuff and will enable me to fix
the problem and help to keep it from happening again?  I have seen various ads
for this kind of software but I am loath to trust some random company.

Malwarebytes offers a version that workws with 10.7.5
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/177821-anti-malware-for-mac-os-x-1075/

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.