It is trivially easy to forge the visible ‘From’ address on any email; this is,
after all, why I apparently send myself spam all the time 8-) Email addresses
are harvestable from all sorts of places (or heck even just synthesized. Back
when we had a more hands-on approach to managing spam here we would routinely
see long lists of names with ‘@pharmacy.arizona.edu’ attached, regardless of
whether or not the accounts referenced actually existed. )

If you have enabled junk filters in your mail client (and/or use any of the
online email services, who also tend to have effective spam filtering) the next
most effective anti-spam strategery is: the delete key. delete it and move on.
I vaguely remember seeing something like this email, to be honest I didn’t even
really pay attention to what folder it landed in (which would be related to the
list address per my account rules), just went “Well this is dumb” and hit the
delete key.

More traffic is usually generated on mailing lists complaining about errant
spam than the actual spam itself, often by several orders of magnitude.

On May 16, 2018, at 5:49 PM, W.Adrian D'Alessio