At the moment, the DNS setting in Imail points to the box that IMAIL also resides on, which is my current DNS server. Now, when I disable recursion on that box, I am assuming that IMAIL is going to need to be pointed to a recursive DNS server?

Of course. How else can Imail obtain DNS answers?

If IMAIL is pointed to my new caching only DNS server, is that not going to slow things down?

A tiny bit as the DNS query/response will traverse the LAN, less than 1 msec?, with usually much less than 500 bytes total per query/response transaction, rather DNS than be local to the Imail box, but I bet you'll not be able to measure it, nor experience any difference.

Len