>>and an IDE based HDD, no RAID)

Yikes for less than $300 (card and drive) you could setup mirroring with a
Promise controller card

Andrew P. Kaplan

The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost
forgotten...When a man is part of his canoe, he is part of all that canoes
have ever known.    -Sigurd Olson, The Singing Wilderness, 1956.

---