On Monday, April 11, 2005, 5:05:05 PM, Bill wrote:

BGdS> I'm running IMail 8 on Windows 2000 Server. I've been manually defragging
BGdS> the spool and users partitions early every morning. That's getting old.
I've
BGdS> seen postings about Diskeeper, but I can't justify the $250.00 right now.
BGdS> Are there any cheap alternatives?

BGdS> Analysis of my users partition will report a defrag is needed about 6
hours
BGdS> after I complete one. Should I schedule every 6 hours or more frequently?

You want to set it to run twice as often. A good rule of thumb for
serving any process is that you should not load it more than 50% if
you can avoid it. So, if you need to do it every 6 hours (that would
be 100% load) set it to run twice as fast (3 hours - that would be 50%
load). In my experiences this rule works in most scenarios.

Hope this helps,

_M