On Saturday, February 19, 2011 06:33:17 PM Coast, Hurricane wrote:
> I do think some things are 'necessary' to import. Like Park boundaries,
> though there is always discussion on the accuracy and how 'good' those are
> too. Hrm :-/

Something I discovered about many boundaries… a lot of them imported into OSM 
are completely *WRONG*. I.e.

  http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SamatJain/diary/11578

There's already a (ridiculously) huge thread about imports going on talk right 
now. I don't need to repeat it, but a theme from that thread: people don't 
check things.

Back to the original thread… many people have been posting public-domain 
sources… rather than them going on the Potential Datasources page:

  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potential_Datasources

maybe it'd be better to place them onto the page for the locality? For example, 
I've been putting stuff for New Mexico here:

  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/New_Mexico

The idea: it's in a place local mappers will find it, and not in a place that 
gung-ho armchair importers will look for their next importing project.

> I would love for National Parks week to be a "hands on, hike with your
> GPS, take your kid/boyscout/girlscout out and explore event'. Who can help
> coordinate?

I'd not mind, but I'm not sure what's involved…?

-- 
Samat K Jain <http://samat.org/> | GPG: 0x4A456FBA

"Hello," he lied.
-- Don Carpenter quoting a Hollywood agent (487)

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: This is a digitally signed message part.

_______________________________________________
Imports mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports

Reply via email to