On 03/28/2011 12:39 PM, Richard Weait wrote:
On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Marten Hogeweg<[email protected]>  wrote:
Can you clarify those essential steps? We have been following the best 
practices guidelines for importing data into OSM published on the wiki.
Hmm, looks like you've missed a few.  For starters, you, or Al,
discussed a parcel import here, which was considered to be a bad idea.
  Then Al proceeded to do it.

Was there indeed consensus that OSM having parcel data is bad irrespective of geography? I know I don't share that view. Was sentiment measured at some level? Is this a sentiment about representation of parcels in OSM or more about mechanics and limitations of import of them?

Cheers
Al seems to be using his regular account, rather than an import account.

I don't see an entry for the Arkansas parcel data in the imports
catalogue, or licensing information for it.

Others have raised technical issues regarding nodes without tags or
associated ways.

I'm sure there are other issues because Al appears to have taken a few
shortcuts.

Now, Marten, what's your connection?  You aren't using Al's account
are you?  In my opinion companies don't edit OpenStreetMap,
individuals do.  You should each have your own accounts.  "We" applies
to community consensus, but "I" have to take responsibility for my own
edits.  ;-)

Lots of guidance on these pages.


http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import_guidelines

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits/Code_of_Conduct

You had some good advice in this thread as well.  Have you forgotten?  ;-)

Best regards,
Richard

_______________________________________________
Imports mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports


_______________________________________________
Imports mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports

Reply via email to