----- Original message -----
> Here is a popular perspective from the OSM community, "If parcel data
> can't be measured, confirmed or improved by OSM editors, why import
> it?"   Use it as an overlay somewhere, somehow.
At least in my little corner of the world, the parcel data is public record, so 
if I felt the desire to go to the records office and pull the legal description 
and owner information for all the parcels in a county, I could certainly do 
that. So it is, in a sense, something that an OSM editor can import, and even 
to some degree measure and confirm, if the survey markers are still in place 
and they can get access from the land owner.
In fact, I have in the past used public records to determine, for example, the 
extent of a commercial or residential development so that it can be tagged.
 
All that said, I don't know that, in the general sense, parcel data is a great 
fit for OSM. If you go all the way to individual lots in subdivisions, it could 
easily clutter up the map so much that it's difficult for future editors.
TBH, Karlsruhe scheme address points have that issue also, but there seems to 
be a strong consensus in favor of having those.
> Where is this data coming from and how is it licensed?   It has to be
> included in the imports catalogue with license details.
Probably the same place and license as 
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Arkansas_Situs_Address_Points_Import (which 
I need to finish one of these days)
_______________________________________________
Imports mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports

Reply via email to