Quoting Nic Roets <[email protected]>:

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Richard Weait <[email protected]> wrote:
As another, single point of comparison of communities, consider local
OSM groups.
http://usergroups.openstreetmap.de/

There appears to be a local OSM user group for each
100 Million USA-ians.
And one for each 10 Million Canadians.
And one for each 2 Million Germans.

The USA got imports early.
Canada got imports a bit later.
Imports seem much less popular in Germany.

Correlation? Causation?  I don't know.

Let's compare the USA with the Netherlands:
Both had imports of the complete road network. Yet the ratio of users
registered on the wiki to population is one in 2 million and one in
one hundred thousand respectively.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Users_in_United_States
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Users_in_the_Netherlands


Maybe it's dangerous to say, but I think that the growth of the Dutch community has been negatively affected due to the AND import. The scale of the Netherlands is not comparable to the US and Canada, and I think it would have been feasible to have the road network in the country mapped completely one or two years ago. As a result, the Dutch community is relatively small, compared to the UK and Germany. Not that many OSM related events are being organized, and those who are organized often have a low turnout.

In Canada this would be nearly impossible. I've done a lot of mapping there myself, before the Geobase dataset became available (end of 2008). This was in a region (province of Quebec) which already had low community activity. I don't think Geobase and Canvec has a negative effect, but despite these datasets available and being imported, the community seems to grow over the last few years. Of course it is up to the importers (me being one of them) to learn from past mistakes, and take utmost care and listen to other users while importing the data.


_______________________________________________
Imports mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports

Reply via email to