---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Dr E S Santhosh Kumar <essanthoshjntb...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 at 13:00
Subject: Re: [itpmods:15933] Fwd: What is the secret behind so many endemic
species in Kerala ?
To: itpmods <itpm...@googlegroups.com>

Dear friends,
The question " What is the secret behind so many endemic species in Kerala?
" raised by Gargji has several answers. The first reason has been very well
explained by SanthanJi. Secondly, the flora of Kerala has been well
explored and documented and every part of the state has been thoroughly
explored and the important findings were published in time. There are
certain exceptions that  a few new gen botanists described the already
known species in many foreign journals as new species again. Sadly in
several cases the reviewers never known about it. In the recent climatic
change scenario, several ephemerals become annuals or biennials or even
perennials through several perennating mechanism. Such species often
mistakenly described new during recent times from Kerala. Genera such as
Impatiens, Sonerila, Strobilanthes etc are having several species grow
together in a biome often have a chance of exchange genes by  interbreeding
between them. The F1 generation often having characters of both parents and
also possessing certain unique characters of themselves. It is called
Nothospecies. Such characters never having a chance of continue over
generations. Some of the new gen botanists described such taxa as novelties
to science. There are several hidden agenda behind it. Certain exotic
species naturalized in Kerala years ago show several ecological traits also
described novelties recently.   Unnecessary addition of fictitious
novelties increased the number of endemics in Kerala. I have prepared a
list of  such 'paper species', but wont like to publish in such a public
forum. Let some experts in respective fields should tackle the issue.
Thanks

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/itpmods/CA%2BBiB1LEQ6CEUHZOShWZdqe8vrtArwpkzuQRAv95j27s5PJwqA%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/itpmods/CA%2BBiB1LEQ6CEUHZOShWZdqe8vrtArwpkzuQRAv95j27s5PJwqA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.