  From: Gurcharan Singh
  To: tanay bose
  Cc: Pankaj Oudhia ; efloraofindia
  Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:52 PM
  Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:43997] Lepidium sativum from Kashmir

  Tanay
  Here are some uses from me:
  Cooked as vegetable, also consumed as salad, used for garnishing
  Leaves mild stimulant and diuretic, used in scorbutic diseases and hepatic
complaints.
  Seeds galactogogue, emmenagogue, diuretic, tonic, aphrodisiac, laxative, used
in poultices for hurts and sprains
  Roots used in secondary syphilis and tenesmus.
  Seeds also yield a semidrying oil used for soapmaking
  Mucilage from seeds known as Cress seed mucilage used as substitute for
tragacanth and gum arabic.
  It allays irritation of the intestines in dysentery and diarrhoea.

  Retired  Associate Professor
  Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
  http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/