Ah, so the tarball packages don't have the necessary permissions to run
InfluxDB as a service. What distribution of Linux are you running? Can you
not use the RPM or DEB packages instead?

If not, you'll need to create the following directories with owner:group as
influxdb:
- /var/lib/influxdb
- /etc/influxdb

And you'll want to take the systemd unit file from here
<https://github.com/influxdata/influxdb/blob/master/scripts/influxdb.service>
.

Thanks,
Ross