The precision as specified in the query string[1] is treated as truth. If you
provide a timestamp at millisecond resolution, but don't specify the precision
or specify it as nanoseconds, the timestamp will be interpreted as nanoseconds.
(The current unix time in milliseconds, interpreted as nanoseconds, will be
about 24 minutes into Jan 1 1970.)

A couple relevant places in the code are setting the precision of a point [2]
and handling precision and writing points in the HTTP handler [3].

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 10:02:15 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> I'm looking to fix the influxdb-java client library as it forces all point
> timestamps to nanosecond precision, which is a waste of space and hit in
> performance when only captured in millisecond precision.  One of the
> questions however is understanding what InfluxDB does whenever the
> measurement timestamp precision doesn't match what was specified in the
> /write.
> Any clarity and links to code base would be very welcome!

To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at
For more options, visit