On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 1:17:22 PM UTC-4, ma...@influxdb.com wrote:
> The precision as specified in the query string[1] is treated as truth. If you
> provide a timestamp at millisecond resolution, but don't specify the
> precision or specify it as nanoseconds, the timestamp will be interpreted as
> nanoseconds. (The current unix time in milliseconds, interpreted as
> nanoseconds, will be about 24 minutes into Jan 1 1970.)
> A couple relevant places in the code are setting the precision of a point [2]
> and handling precision and writing points in the HTTP handler [3].
> [1]
> https://docs.influxdata.com/influxdb/v1.0/tools/api/#query-string-parameters-1
> [2]
> https://github.com/influxdata/influxdb/blob/cea7690b728a23a7a196020ea411707d2807d176/models/points.go#L1364-L1378
> [3]
> https://github.com/influxdata/influxdb/blob/cea7690b728a23a7a196020ea411707d2807d176/services/httpd/handler.go#L645-L692
> On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 10:02:15 AM UTC-7, andrew...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I'm looking to fix the influxdb-java client library as it forces all point
> > timestamps to nanosecond precision, which is a waste of space and hit in
> > performance when only captured in millisecond precision.  One of the
> > questions however is understanding what InfluxDB does whenever the
> > measurement timestamp precision doesn't match what was specified in the
> > /write.
> >
> > Any clarity and links to code base would be very welcome!

Thanks for the links and clarification; makes sense.

Since one of the best practices I've heard regarding InfluxDB is having lower
precision as needed.  The two issues I was alluding to were:

1) influxdb-java library org.influxdb.dto.Point.formatedTime() converts all
timestamps to nanoseconds

private StringBuilder formatedTime() {
        final StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();
        if (null == this.time) {
                this.time =
        sb.append(" ").append(TimeUnit.NANOSECONDS.convert(this.time,
        return sb;

2) influxdb-java library org.influxdb.impl.InfluxDBImpl.write() methods forces
nanosecond precision

Thanks again Sean / Mark!