Jeremy Howard wrote:

> Well, I've happily been supporting nothing but plain/login at fastmail.fm
> during our 3 years of development and beta testing, but now that we've just
> gone live I'm starting to see new mail clients with behaviours I haven't
> seen before.
>
> Some mail clients are trying to use CRAM-MD5, according to our logs. Can
> anyone give me a quick overview of what this is, and what I need to do to
> support it? I use a custom pwcheck daemon for authentication--am I going to
> have to change this in any way, or do I just have to compile something into
> SASL?

You're going to have to compile CRAM-MD5 support into SASL (if you don't
already have it).  Then you're going to have to allow your users to
create a CRAM-MD5 secret in /etc/sasldb.  If you search the archives, I
think you'll find a PHP-based front-end for doing this.  If you go ahead
with this, you might want to just use sasldb for plaintext passwords as
well.

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127