Pat Lashley wrote:

> --On Monday, November 19, 2001 03:49:59 PM -0500 Ken Murchison

> >> Aarrgghhh.  That's a definate stumbling block.  Especially if you have
> >> other applications sharing the sasldb; but not ready to shift to v2.
> >
> > Maybe I wasn't clear.  You do NOT have to change the existing sasldb in
> > any way.  You have to set the users' passwords in the new sasldb.
>
> Right.  Which means that they will be duplicated and must be kept
> in sync for as long as you have apps using both versions.  Changing
> your password in either database won't automatically change it in
> the other.

Yeah, but writing a script which simple front-ends both saslpasswds
would be trivial.  However, check out Rob Siemborski's post re:
dbconverter-2.  I completely forgot about this utility.

> >> How much can be done to ease the transition?  Is there a tool to
> >> extract PLAIN passwords from the v1 sasldb and store them in the
> >> new format?  (That would at least handle the common case where all
> >> of the mechanisms actually used the same password for a given user.)
> >
> > No.  The PLAIN passwords were not stored in a plaintext format in v1.5.
> > If you are running with my APOP patch (which stored a plaintext
> > password), then there is a conversion tool available.
>
> I have multiple virtual hosts, each with some number of virtual
> users and several services that require authentication.  Without
> some sort of automation, the transition sounds like a huge pain.

Yeah, I feel for anybody with a lot of users.

> The v1 sasl library supported an auto-transition for plaintext
> logins where the login was authenticated against some external
> mechanism (e.g., /etc/passwd) and then used to create the entries
> in the sasldb.  A similar auto-transition, even requiring a single
> plaintext login, would make make the switchover much easier.

This might be possible.  I'd be curious how Rob and Larry feel about
this.

> Easier yet would be if the v2 library would support using the old
> v1 sasldb as a fallback if it doesn't find an entry in the new db.
> New entries and password updates would go into the new one.  Eventually
> the old db would be completely shadowed and could be removed.

Hmm.  I'll defer to Rob on this, but I don't think we want legacy
setpass() code floating around in the v2 library (each plugin used to
set its own password, but now its handled globally because they all
share the same plaintext password).

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127