Robert Mueller wrote:

Is this a good spot to suggest branching from the last stable release
(2.3.3 in this case) and just applying the bugfixes if HEAD is only
half finished?

2.3 is beta branch. You want stable you go for 2.2.

Beta is may be, but still....

1. There's no regression testing with cyrus at all. I did try and start a cyrus regression test a while back (just a perl script to test basic IMAP functionality) but there wasn't really interest in taking it up. I still strongly believe that some form of basic regression test that is built up more and more over time is is important. 2. This bug is something that would have turned up with 5 minutes of basic functionality testing (copying a message from one folder to another is broken) 3. 2.3.3 was working really well, and has been working well for months. A serious security issue was found so 2.3.4 was released. 2.3.4 was totally broken. 4. The reason 2.3.4 was totally brokwn was because significant functionality was added from 2.3.3 -> 2.3.4 (CONDSTORE stuff). It's a hard compromise between releasing new features regularly and keeping a stable branch. Maybe we need a 2.3.x-rc1 type scheme before an official release so that the obvious things get caught before an actual point release? Or maybe a 2.3.3.1 release for urgent security/minor bug fixes?

Just throwing things in the wind, seeing if anything sticks. Maybe this is just a more "one off" type situation, and a rethinking of release strategy is not needed.

This hole mess is a result of me having my head up my ass. I usually do pretty thorough testing of any code that I touch, and I *thought* that I had done that with the CONDSTORE stuff. Its now obvious that I didn't do enough testing of the non-CONDSTORE case.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer