The STUPIDEST post-9/11 restriction for us DC folks has been eliminated at
long last.  Thank the gods.    Maybe now I'll start flying out of DCA again.

-rick

Rules for Reagan Airport Passengers to Be Eased
Requirement to Remain Seated for 30 Minutes Will Be Eliminated
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/13/AR2005071301
327_pf.html

By Sara Kehaulani Goo and Spencer Hsu
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, July 13, 2005; 2:30 PM

Passengers at Reagan National Airport will no longer have to sit in their
seats during the first 30 minutes of every departing and landing flight, the
Department of Homeland Security announced today along with of a larger
restructuring of the agency.

The elimination of the rule won't happen immediately, but will begin shortly
after the agency issues security directives to airlines, Homeland Security
Secretary Michael Chertoff said at a lunch with reporters and editors of The
Washington Post.

He said it was time for the rule to be eliminated because he is confident
that other security measures in place, such as hardened cockpit doors and
better screening, make it unnecessary. The rule was put in place as a
condition for reopening the airport after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist
attacks.

Chertoff also said his agency would collect 10 fingerprints from foreign
visitors who enter the United States through the US VISIT program, which
began taking digital photographs and collecting two index finger prints from
visitors in 2004.

"I don't want the American people to think we only add on" new security
measures, Chertoff told told a group of editors and reporters in a meeting
with The Washington Post this morning.

"We can scale it down, we can remove a restriction" if it becomes necessary,
he said. "We've got to make decisions to manage risk."

The announcements came just before Chertoff is scheduled to deliver a speech
in Washington outlining major plans to reorganize the department to better
focus the agency on its core mission and eliminate unnecessary bureaucracy.

Chertoff said he plans to create new under secretaries for policy and
preparedness and create a new office of intelligence. He said he also plans
to create a new sector to lead and coordinate operations.

You are a subscribed member of the infowarrior list. Visit
www.infowarrior.org for list information or to unsubscribe. This message
may be redistributed freely in its entirety. Any and all copyrights
appearing in list messages are maintained by their respective owners.