Xbox 360 Hard Drive DRM Issues
 Category: Streaming Media Devices - December 08, 2005
By Tim Coyle [1319 Reads]
http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/1766/xbox_360_hard

The Xbox 360 can stream music and photos from a networked Windows XP machine
and video/TV from a Windows Media Center PC. You can also get a hard drive
for the Xbox 360 and store music and video on it for playback. But some
people like Gamespot are reporting that you have to rip your CD¹s to the
hard drive and any MP3¹s loaded onto the hard drive won¹t play:

    Get used to ripping tracks from audio CDs because that's the only way we
could get music onto the 360's HDD. The console could recognize and play MP3
songs from USB devices like memory sticks and portable media players, but we
couldn't transfer songs over to the HDD. Similarly, the system could play
songs from a data CD that contained MP3s, but we couldn't transfer the music
directly to the system's HDD. The 360 can stream music from USB devices and
data CDs, but it won't let you copy any songs from those sources.

I¹m sure this is some sort of DRM content protection but what¹s the point of
the hard drive if you have to rip everything to it? Has anyone tried loading
video onto the hard drive ­ does that work?

You are a subscribed member of the infowarrior list. Visit
www.infowarrior.org for list information or to unsubscribe. This message
may be redistributed freely in its entirety. Any and all copyrights
appearing in list messages are maintained by their respective owners.