A - Yes as long as there is no obligation to stay after the 500 is spent.
It will likely give us an idea of how much we need to spend for hosting.
Also, we may be able to convince them to give us another package for
promoting their services. Digital ocean is very well known and supports all
sorts of FLOSS projects, podcasts, etc. I think they deserve our support as
well if we can set that up in the future. If not, well we can explore other
options in the mean time.

On 30 Nov 2017 05:17, "Bryce Harrington" <br...@bryceharrington.org> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 09:03:20PM -0500, Martin Owens wrote:
> b. No
>
> There are questions I have about an on going committment. A one year
> credit will doom us to pay Digital Ocean in the future, a $500 credit
> /per year/ would be better.
>
> I'd rather no invest the sys-admin time into a platform that we don't
> know what will happen in a year's time.

Totally valid concerns there, although I think you've misunderstood -
it's not a one year credit, it's a $500 credit we can stretch as far as
we want.  The entry level node is $5/mo, and even bumped up a few levels
it could last for multiple years.  I too would prefer a more open ended
sponsorship with higher capacity hosting, but there's no guarantee of
finding one.

These nodes appear to be pretty standard Ubuntu 16.04 images with docker
and other typical provisioning.  If service installation is done orderly
and kept well-documented, migration to another platform (if we can find
one) could be expected to be fairly straightforward.  I could
imagine using this as our backup host, if we were lucky in securing a
higher capacity host at some point in the future.

Finally, yes, I get your concerns about not wanting to invest your
sysadmin time on a platform that may end up being temporary, so will
impose no expectations on you.  To some degree I can probably handle it
myself, but my plan would be to establish it as co-maintained by several
volunteers in order to avoid bottlenecking.

Bryce