tldr; Good news - I think it's time to plan moving to the new mailing
list software.

Mailman3 is up and operating at lists.inkscape.org, including imports of
our list archives, current as of yesterday.  All major issues have been
resolved, and remaining work is just cosmetics.

While we're not quite to 100% yet I wanted to give the board a summary
of what's been done and what's to come.  You can take a look here:

  https://lists.inkscape.org

First, the packaging, configuration, and deployment of mailman3 and its
dependencies has been scripted in Ansible.  This is now quite solid.
Ian has been moving mountains to make this work smoothly..

Second is the mailing list configs.  This is a one-time step, but I've
scripted this too, using mailman3's REST api.  We'll eventually need
moderators identified for each list to handle spam and list admin
requests but I can handle this initially.

Third, I've closed some lists that aren't going to be migrated.  I
haven't closed the inkscape-user-{LN}@ lists yet, but let them know
we'll be merging them into inkscape-user@ going forward since their
traffic has been negligible the past few years.

Fourth, the list archives.  The SF archives didn't import cleanly at
first, but I've patched hyperkitty's importer and dealt with each of the
problems, and they're importing cleanly now.  I'll do a new import once
we're ready to cut over officially.  SF munges the email addresses,
which is why the gravatars aren't showing up correctly.  It should be
possible to un-munge at least the more frequent posters.

There are some other cosmetic bits to polish up the UI; this is all
stuff that can be done post-rollout; I'll work on them as I have
time, for now.

The main still-missing piece is a backup solution.  This isn't critical
to do pre-release, but it is the topmost item in the todo list.

The "rollout" of the new lists will be as simple as just asking people
to sign up for the new lists and stop posting things on the old one.
I'll do a fresh reimport of the archives at the time the email goes out.

People will need to re-subscribe, since SourceForge does not provide
subscription lists any more.

Because of that, I'll send out a notice to each of the lists summarizing
the changeover.  I'll do that a week or two before the switch.

And before that (probably in a few days) I'll send out a summary to the
inkscape-devel@ list similar to this one, that describes the technicals,
so the development team knows what's happening.

Meanwhile, let me know if there are any questions, or issues you want to
see addressed before we move forward.  Otherwise, please look forward to
our spiffy new mailing list software.  :-)

Bryce