From: "Maren Hachmann" <ma...@goos-habermann.de>
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2015 12:46 PM
To: "Brynn" <br...@frii.com>; <inkscape-docs@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Inkscape-docs] more prominent link to the wiki?

Hi Brynn,

Am 19.06.2015 um 05:19 schrieb Brynn:
Hi Maren,
       Yes, I understand that the intent for the wiki is more for
developers.  I didn't mean there should be a more prominent link for
users to get to the wiki.  I meant for developers, but others could use
it too.

- Mmh. For devs, the link isn't too hidden, I think:
https://inkscape.org/en/develop/ , fourth paragraph
(but also new devs should not rely on the info in the Wiki being up to
date).

I usually just type 'wik' into my browser's address line, and then
autocompletion kicks in...

       I don't know.  Maybe developers just don't need to go from
website to wiki.  Maybe it's just me.
       But fwiw, what I'm looking for most often is the Release Notes,

- I think that for the next version we could try and get the Release
Notes on the website when they are finalized. They are an important part
of the documentation. This will also make it easier for our translators'
team (who have access to website editing, but most don't have wiki
privileges) to translate them (translating Release Notes is a difficult
task by itself...).

Roadmap,

- The Roadmap is being changed by devs all the time - and users should
not rely on it too much - but unfortunately, they often take it by the
letter, and are then disappointed... It's good info, but I'm a bit
hesitant to put it on the website. Is there a place on the website which
could profit from a direct link to the Roadmap?
(maybe: The Next Release, FAQ, Features?)

and I often search the wiki while trying to answer support
questions from forums.

- You're quite hardy :)
I've internally categorized most of the Wiki pages as 'outdated' or
'describing a plan, but not necessarily the real implementation'...
Could you keep track of the kind of info you are looking up, so we can
maybe find a way to include the main components on the website?

And for the latter, this is especially more for
the new-in-0.91-features, because the manual hasn't been updated, and a
lot of the new features are explained in the wiki.  Once the manual is
updated, I won't be in the wiki as much.

- Tav told me he'd take care of this soon. But it's an awful lot of work
(so many new features ;) ), so it may still take a while.

       (There IS a lot of user-focused stuff in the wiki!  I started to
work on some of it, thinking maybe it could be updated and moved to the
website, like I did with the faq.  But almost all of it is over my head.
       I did make a list of the ones that are referenced in the faq,
hoping to at least get that much transferred over.

- Could you share that list?

But afaik, no one
has updated them or moved to the website.)

Kind regards,
Maren

Thanks,
brynn