Hi Victor,

I've been thinking about rekindling that process, too, and have also
already looked into a couple of different platforms - but none of them
was able to fullfill all requirements, and I didn't want to build
something home-made for this (can't maintain). Also, I currently lack
the time to lead such an effort.

So, currently I can just confirm Sylvain and Alex:

- the Wiki is not a good place, it's going to be shut down in the long
run, sadly.

- there is a Booktype instance, with a book that needs to be updated,
which is hosted by flossmanuals, and can be used as a starting point. It
could be edited any time, as far as I know.

Bryce suggested that we'd use the same system we use for the included
tutorials, so we can also export to SVG. I don't really think that makes
a lot of sense, though. It's great for 'interactive', hands-on
tutorials, and it has the advantage of creating po files for easy
translation, but it's difficult to edit the original files (and hard to
compile the resulting documentation, as far as I understand).

Ideally, a manual platform would (in my opinion):

- use git for version control
- use reStructured Text for markup
- support translation (like: automatically mark translated pages as
outdated, mix translated and untranslated contents if there is only a
partial translation)
- allow to include SVG images
- allow for easy collaboration
- supply an editor that makes it easy for non-coders to contribute
- export to a couple of different file formats, including html, pdf, and
one or more ebook formats
- allow for the files in the git repo to be also edited directly, and be
able to include the git repo in our own code repos.
- be open source (of course)

I believe gitbook already fulfills a lot of those requirements, but I
don't want to do self-hosting, if that can be avoided (but still want to
have the option to export everything and go to a different place with
the contents).

But there's also Booktype, Readthedocs, pure Sphinx and a lot more.

Would you like to investigate the different available systems and put up
a comparison between them? You can also collect info/user experiences
from other open source projects.

Kind Regards,
 Maren