Looks like a bug to me. This is relatively new code too [1].

You proposal sounds good to me too.

Brad

[1]
https://github.com/InsightSoftwareConsortium/ITK/commit/1000370eec20511850c543cb3c02aa5118563ccc

On Oct 16, 2016, at 9:49 PM, Francois Budin
<francois.bu...@kitware.com<mailto:francois.bu...@kitware.com>> wrote:

Hello fellow ITK developers,

I was having linking errors on Windows when compiling a project that was using
the CMake variable BUILD_SHARED_LIBS and setting it to ON when I had compiled
ITK with BUILD_SHARED_LIBS to OFF.
I realized that when ITK gets included and used and when the project using ITK
using the IO factory mechanism, UseITK.cmake uses the variable
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS to set some parameters. I was wondering if instead of using
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS which could have a different value in ITK and the project I
am trying to compile, UseITK.cmake should not use ITK_BUILD_SHARED instead
(which is set when ITK is configured). If I modify UseITK.cmake to use
ITK_BUILD_SHARED instead of BUILD_SHARED_LIBS, the linking error I was having
disappears. Is this a bug or is there a reason behind that design?

Thanks,
Francois

[1]
https://github.com/InsightSoftwareConsortium/ITK/blob/master/CMake/UseITK.cmake#L201